Saturday, December 30, 2006

Can I "chorp" a seat with tissue paper?

There is on-going trailer on tv of someone using packets of tissue papers to "chorp" or reserve a table while they are away to buy food in a hawker centre, coffee shop.

Firstly, what do I think of such acts?
I don't do it. Never thought of doing it as I don't carry any tissue papers. If I need a seat and I see an empty seat with tissue pack, I will take the seat with the packet of tissues complimentary of the hawker centre. So nice :)

Why should I recognise tissue papers as chorping instrument? Is your name on the tissue packs? Why don't you leave monies on the table?

Secondly, will I ever do it ie. tissue papers to reserve?
Don't think so. At the very least, I will sacrifice myself to "hold" the table while the rest of us go hunting for food.

Many many years ago, I went into "loud verbal debate" with some Caucasian tourists in an eatery at Raffles Place. I was seated at a table for 3 persons while A colleague went to get her food. This couple with trays came long and conveniently plonked themselves down on the 2 empty seats. I politely tell them to remove themselves. They refused to accept the protocol of reservation and reserving seats with a human body. I refused to move either.

They tried to eat and they tried to carry a normal conversation while trying very hard to ignore my seated presence. The proprietor came and redirected them to another table to resolve the "conflict".

I tasted my small "victory" for a few seconds and left the table and eatery all together with my colleague immediately without lunch.

As I looked at my then youthful exuberance, I realised the following:-
  • These visitors were not familiar to the concept of reserving seats/tables with a human body.
  • Maybe they never need to "chorp" as they have plenty of space from where they come from.
So tissue-paper chorpers out there today, please forgive the uninitiated Singaporeans and foreigners who may have taken your seats and tissue papers!!!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nay...I wouldn't take the seats cos it is understood that the seats are chorped. Reserving seats with tissue packs is a widely accepted practice nowadays altho I don't practise it. More importantly, i don't wish to get involved in an ugly argument over the seats. I'd rather save my saliva for the delicious food...

chomp...chomp... chomp...

Anonymous said...

chorp seat with tissue? hm.. now then i know got this option too! haha! really take my hat off to the UNIQUE culture here
****faint****

Anonymous said...

never know that such a ridiculous option available for chorpping seat... hm... UNIQUELY SINGAPORE! really take my hat off to the ssspeeecial culture here! ***FainT***

Edgar Wong said...

For those who accept "chorping with tissues", BEWARE of Edgar.

I will act as a foreign tourist and take over your seat!

I will only after you answer all my questions below.

a) Is your name written on the tissue pack?
b) How many sheets of tissue in the pack?
c) Are you the only person in Singapore using this type of tissues?

Anonymous said...

Self-service (Do it yourself) is a way of life now. In those days, food was served to us, but now we had to carry hot bowls of soap, wearing high heels while looking for places to sit. Unless we developed bulky muscles and wearing slippers, the ladies would appreciate if the manly guys out there will not take our seats and tissue paper.

Lisa said...

http://sportylisa.blogspot.com/2006/09/tissue-paper-lady.html

my personal brush...

Anonymous said...

I work at Raffles area, though I hate this chorping seats method. It seems to be the norm at Raffles area. It is the "must do" rule to reserve a seat. I had to do it sometimes too, but I finding it ridiculous.

Anonymous said...

I don't do the "tissue chorp" but the "human chorp". Just plonk yourself at the table and repeat like a robot "these seats are taken" everytime some needy patron asked "anyone?" It's so uncivilised and no class. But what else can you do??
Sigh!!!

Anonymous said...

i had twice experience same as u edgar and both happen @ scotts food court.
1st incident - in a grp of 4, we took turn to buy our food. 2 frends of mine had bought theirs,and while waiting, a middle-aged guy put his tray down and sat down. when my frends told him the two seats are taken, he angrily scolded and say:"I dun understand why singaporeans are like tat, i dun care im seated down now" . when me n my fren came back wif our food, we are left short of 1 seat and we had to go and get a chair.. gosh! he commented us as why singaporeans are like tat, and we dun understand why he is like tat!!!
2nd incident: this time round while i'm waiting for e rest to be back, a family came and almost sat down i just told them its taken, e guy was abit annoyed and insist why he cant have the seat..

"tissue chopper" i think we can understand the annoying part but human "looking after" the seats is it so annoyed?

Anonymous said...

tissue chopper? nope. never do tat before. dun think many ppl will care even if there's a tissue on e seat being reserve ba.
human chopper is more realistic as it's more practical to say these seats r taken rather den a tissue being chopped there.