Sunday, January 07, 2007

A Taiwanese girl's perspective

Last Friday evening, I had an interesting conversation with the girlfriend of my friend. She is from Taiwan, very well travelled and an entrepreneur. My friend met her while he was on a term assignment in Taiwan.

Our conversation drifted to the topic of how she became my friend's girlfriend. She said she had to ward off a few competitors to "win" him.

I asked her how. She sent a bouquet of 100 roses to his office. Pls note the flowers are from a she to a he. I never had a bouquet delivered to me lei. Haizzz! I asked what for. Besides trying to win his heart, she was using the flowers to mark her "territory". Wow!!!

There were possible competition from the many ladies in his office. She said he would be a highly demanded "trophy" as he was a single in a senior management position, charming, with good taste for food and music and from Singapore.

I asked her what else she likes about my friend.

She said she likes him because he is not careful. Huh??? Apparently he is not very good at hiding things from her. She found a diary of a girl he had dated in his Boss jacket. After the initial explosion between them and after some re-thinking by her, she concluded that it was a ploy set up by a competing girl intended to wreck the relationship. I said wow again! Taiwanese girls so scheming type meh? Like from those Taiwanese TV series :)

A rare feature of him not found in Taiwanese men (that smitten her heart) was the fact that he was almost always at home when she called him during weekends. "At home during weekends", she stressed.

As we finished our bottle of Chilean red "Antares", we adjourned to teh tarik and prawn noodles for more deep insights of their relationship.

My best wishes to you, my old friend.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey ed,

We dont mind sending you bouquets of flowers to win you over! But dont get the wrong idea... we hope to win you over to teach us more accounting stuff!!!

take care.

Anonymous said...

Hi Edgar,

Thanks for your sharing of news and information.

However, hardly believe this couple could enjoy their marriage life.

What if the wife found another 'diary of a girl'? whatever the man is single or not, he will be charming and attractive to those ladies who wish to win the man over.

So ask your friend try to work in Shanghai/Beijing or any other city of China, see any effect?

By the way, I think "senior mangement level" is the most charming factor to attract young ladies...

Enjoy...

Helena

Anonymous said...

Hi Edgar,

Ask your friend to work in Shanghai, see how this Taiwan lady fight for her competitors, must be more interesting than those movies...

By the way, the most charming factor of your friend is "senior management"...

Enjoy,
Helena

Anonymous said...

Does yr friend like the girl?

Edgar Wong said...

JH - Let me know when the flowers will be coming. My first time to receive a 100-rose bouquet :)

Helena - Nice to hear from you. China? It's tough. Singapore men can get lost there.

Anonymous - Yes, indeed...

Anonymous said...

Have you figure out what to tell the students the "different" between CPA and ACCA ?

You are teaching a new class of 1.1 again, i sincerely hope that you had give a better explaination this time.

Thank you for all your contribution of "answering" , "explaining" to the questions that i have ask you.

KH

BYEBYE

Edgar Wong said...

"KH",

Thanks for your posting.

Within my capacity, I can only try as much as possible to help.

Sincerely I do wish my students to understand what they are pursuing (ACCA and/or CPA) before possibly dedicating more than 3 years studying for "something".

Perhaps you can give me another opportunity to explain to you again. Or you may wish to pursue alternative avenues for info such as SAA office, ICPAS and ACCA Singapore.

This is important to you and I do want to help you. Cheers.