Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Premium Bus Services - a step forward?

A colleague commented recently I do a put a lot of monies in the cash card in my car. I said I got no choice given the many trips through gantries and parking machines. Silently, the monies got "tiihh! tiihh!" away.

For me to go to the city in the morning, I am very fortunate to have to go through 3 gantries.

The premium bus service would be a welcome relief for me from the gantries, parking machines and crowd if I were to be working in city.

The Public Transport Council (PTC) requires that the buses to be air-conditioned with all passengers seated and having to pay 1.5x the fare of BASIC bus service.

With the exception of requiring seated passengers (I guess for safety reason), why does the PTC need to regulate the pricing and even air-conditioning.
What is this reference point of "basic bus service"? Who is providing that basic service?
Can these buses pick up passengers from bus terminals or stop all over the place?
Do we need to specify the temperature of the aircon as well?

Despite my concerns, I do believe the premium bus service is still a step forward.

Can we now consider the next step ie. providing very basic looping bus service for elderly, children and aunties going to and fro from town centre and flats.

No comments: