Tuesday, December 19, 2006

M1 wireless plan under review after complaints

Hi friends,

I went to M1 this morning to register for the mobile wireless service. I was told by the M1 staff that the wireless gadget thingy is out of stock and they will contact me when it is back in stock.

I had not get the chance to read the newspapers before that visit thus wasn't aware that M1 has suspended the offering pending review.

What are the complaints?
1) the company sets a limit on usage for a service advertised as unlimited, and;
2) that it does not support low-cost Internet telephone calls through VoIP, or Voice Over Internet Protocol.

Whereas its competitors are doing otherwise.

What was M1's basis for its "limited unlimited" broadband service?
M1's Fair Use Policy, introduced in April 2006, was to prevent excessive data usage by a small group on the shared mobile network that may harm the usage experience of majority of its customers.

M1's Fair Use Policy was intended to manage the network more effectively and efficiently for its customers.

When I first heard of that policy, I was angry with the misrepresentation part ie. what is advertised is not fully true.

Then how come Edgar is still willing to accept the Fair Use Policy?
I placed more importance on the ability to access the internet wherever I am. Not just at hotspots. I cannot afford to be at "hotspots" ie. coffee or burger costs there too expensive for this poor man.

I also believe the 2-giga limit will be made to disappear in due time by market forces. Furthermore I can't visualise how big or small is 2 gigas is in my normal usage, so I thought I will give it a try.

Conclusion
A service provider must act responsibly and honestly in its dealing with its customers.

I hate small prints in Terms & Conditions.

No comments: