Sunday, August 02, 2009

Are there many Jennie Chuas in Singapore?

Who is Jennie Chua? I had a brief encounter with her a few years ago. She came across as a very friendly and no-air person. Her biodata and achievements to date as follows.

Chairman, Singapore International Chamber of Commerce
Chief corporate officer, CapitaLand
Chairman, Raffles Hotel
# 1945 Born in Singapore
# 1971 BA, Cornell University, School of Hotel Management

Partial list of other positions:-
# Chairman, Community Chest
# Deputy chairman, Workforce Development Agency
# Board member, Sentosa Development Corporation
# Chairman, Singapore Film Commission
# Chairman, International Advisory Council for Tourism, Singapore Tourism Board
# Member, Pro-Enterprise Panel
# Holds 21 company directorships

Why am I showing you all of the above? To show you that she is a very successful and capable lady. But...

I have attached a quote from an interview published in this Saturday's BT Raffles Conversation.

When the interviewer asked how she manages her time, Jennie said,
'And I do have time. I'm divorced, so don't have a husband and don't need to spend time mollycoddling him; I have a companion, but he mollycoddles me! I don't play golf, which can take up two afternoons a week. My children are grown, and as for grandchildren, well, you play with them, and when you're tired you say, now please go home.'

'On the whole, I have to say I've had a wonderful life.'

My interpretation of that quote is that she sees having a husband as a chore, having a companion as good, children as no longer an issue and grandchildren as fun as long as she is not tired.

Perhaps the quote has been taken out of context by me. Not doing justice to her.

But the issue here is not on Jennie per se. I just wish to ask whether this is the price of having a successful career to a man or a woman. There is always a price!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember what my GM's told some of our staff, "you cannot let household chorus get into your work", to be a career lady, you cannot be taking too much leave/time off for task such as looking after kids, sending kids to clinic, swapping with baby sitter..etc!!! you need to delegate those task!!

But the GM never say to who??

Edgar Wong said...

Hi Anonymous,

Agree with you.

As a supervisor myself, perhaps I would tell me my subordinates, "Solve the problem before I step in to resolve the matter."

Good day.