Saturday, February 14, 2009

ERA or just a few bad apples?


Sellers- Mr and Mrs Yuen Chow Hin

ERA Property Agent - Mr Jeremy Ong

Buyers - Mdm Natassha Sadiq
Wife of Mr Jeremy Ong's boss, Mr Mike Parikh, ERA senior group division.

The Yuens sold their property to Mdm Sadiq at $688,000 to a Mdm Sadiq as recommended by Mr Ong. Mr Ong conveniently "forgotten" to tell the Yuens that the buyer is his boss's wife.

The property was subsequently resold at $945,000.

The Yuens did not smell any rat until they were queried by CPF for selling at such a low price.

Court ordered ERA (not the property agents) to return $257,000 to the Yuens. ERA said they should not be responsible as the property agents carrying their banner are "independent contractors".
My view
Whether the agents or the shell that represent the humans, the Yuens should get their monies back. I am waiting to see what will happen to Mr Ong, Mr Parikh and Mdm Sadiq. I wonder whether there is other victims... Sigh

I do not have a good impression of the property agents that I have interacted with over the years.

The first one only have to turn up for the meeting to earn her fees while we, as a young married couple then, bargained feverishly with the owners. Immediately after we got the option, the agent said she could to flip it for $30,000 profit. Huh?

The second one was a rookie entering the industry. These untrained ones should not have been let loose unattended.

My third encounter was on a tenancy matter. He tried to collect monies from both sides ie. the landlord and the tenants.

My fourth encounter was for the purchase of the current home we are staying in. Seller, a widower, was my mum-in-law' neighbour for many years. I was dealing with her all the time. Her son has the thickest cheek to approach me for money after the deal has been agreed with his mother even though I hardly see throughout the process over a few weeks. I duly tell him to back off.

Bottomline - For many years we have let the situation to persist ie. the poor state of property agency in my opinion. It is a jungle out there. Be careful.

No comments: