Sunday, July 01, 2007

Grand Old Lady?

Who is that? The newspaper is referring to the National Stadium that will be torn down.

I wonder why the term suddenly appeared. What prompted the person to coin that term to describe the stadium?

Is it "grand" and/or is it "old" in comparison to the many other stadiums in the world? Yes there were certainly memories and yes, there were certainly significant events but is it enough? Perhaps, it is enough for many others but not for me.

I was offered tickets to attend the closing ceremony but within seconds, I have decided against going. I have decided that it was not a "moment of history" that is significant enough for me to participate in nor there were sufficient memories there for me to re-cherish for that few hours.

For most time of the year at National Stadium, there wasn't really much happening there. This is unlike some other stadiums where it is weekly or even daily happening place. They are really integrated into the lives of many. I wonder how many of the 45,000 people there yesterday, can truly say IT was part of their life.

There is this spot on the Nicoll Highway that I will try to remember to slow down to commemorate the heroic of a man (who is still buried there) who died saving a few of his men who were working in the tunnel that collapsed.

My tribute to the National Stadium.
I have spent more time at the National Stadium that any other stadiums on earth. The memories of Malaysia Cup spirit still linger in me. You were part of my growing up years. It will never be the same without you. Farewell to thee, my friend.

No comments: