Saturday, July 30, 2011

Tribute to Nurses

I was visiting my mum at Serdang Hospital recently. There was this lady in the next bed who kept wailing and yelling for attention, particularly to anyone walking by her bed. I was told she had an accident. Both her legs were broken or fractured and were thus in cast. We were also told she wants some water but not allowed to as she is under observation for something.

We drew the curtain between my mum's and her bed. But she  continued to create so much ruckus. A few moment later, the Malay lady, sitting opposite to my mum's bed, exclaimed to me to help the wailing lady. Nurses ran to her too. In the chaos, I noticed that half her body was off the bed. Apparently she was trying to get off the bed and stand on her casted legs. The Malay lady asked to help the nurses to move the wailing lady back into bed.

As I was standing at the bedside looking at the half naked woman in adult diaper with bandages here and there, I did not know what to do. I wanted to pull her left hand to drag her heavy frame back into bed but hesitated that I may aggravate her injuries.

After checking with the nurses, I pulled her twice but her heavy frame just won't budge. I gave up helping. Why? I find it so so uncomfortable touching someone who is injured, scantily clad and concerned that I may aggravate her injuries. I walked away and leaving the two nurses to fend for themselves.

A few minutes later, peace reigned as the two nurses walked away. The wailing lady was back in bed and sedated. The two nurses have done her job!

I am thankful that I am not doing their job. But I am more thankful that someone is actually doing the nursing job. We were so impressed with the nursing standard at the Malaysian government hospital that we actually gave them a gift to express our appreciation.

It has been more than 20 years since I was last in a Malaysian government hospital for the last few moments of my father. Thank you for the money well spent on Malaysian healthcare. More importantly, thank you for the human angels working in the hospitals.

Rest in peace, mum.

No comments: