Saturday, May 07, 2011

democracy


I have answered many multiple choice questions as part of my profession in my life. There is one question that have eluded me so far ie. to put a "X" on a piece of paper at an election booth.

I went to visit one this morning. At least I can tell people that I have been to one election centre. Many were queueing up to vote. Even people in wheelchairs turned up for the 3-5 minute experience.

I have witnessed another election campaign. This election has definitely been different based on my living memory. The press has been more than fair in their coverage. Thanks goodness we don't see the scandals, rampant mud slingings, legal threats (for now, someone reminded me) and violence that usually accompany other democracies.

We got all kinds of people trying to convince you that they are worthy to represent you in the democratic process. Some are in their twenties without much significant achievement and experience accumulated yet. Probably trying to make a career in politics instead of trying a make it in the private sector. We heard Xia Xue commenting on her close encounter with a political figure. She gave me the impression that she has fallen head over heels over the political figure. Who said the ruling party cannot relate to Gen Y? But it would certainly take a lot of effort when you need to get a ministerial level political figure to sit down, to listen and to engage with 2 or 3 twenty somethings at a time. But as it shows that it worked with Xia Xue.. Perhaps Xia Xue would consider her candidacy in the next election..

My personal point - we as parents of Gen Z.. have to do the same to maintain a linkage to communicate.

I do so eager to be part of this 9-day of hurly burly with so many words said, so much tears flowed, so much emotions aroused, so much adrenalin generated.... but alas I am only a spectator awaiting for the final chapter to be unfold.

No comments: