Tuesday, January 27, 2009

20cts more for a cup of coffee?

oops.. no CNY picture

Is it the same as $4 surcharge for a usual $6 haircut applicable two weeks before and after the Chinese New Year?

Or is it the same to pay $48 per kg of Lim Chee Guan's bak kwa after queuing from 4am when perhaps you pay half the price with no queue during normal days?

Are the above 3 situations the same?
To me, they are different and I would behave differently towards each.

Firstly, I am willing to pay 20cts more for the coffee. Why? The coffee was served by a Chinese. I am not being racist here. To be more precise, the Chineses who made and served the coffee have sacrificed their holidays and time with family to provide a service to me.

Second situation - No surcharge would be payable by me here. Why? She is the same hairdresser who cut my hair. The haircut is not done during the immediate holidays.

Third situation - Plain and simple no.
But some may rebuke me by saying what is Chinese New Year without bak kwa.
Then I would reply, "Without bak kwa or without Lim Chee Guan's bak kwa?"
Perhaps another would say, "What would Valentine Day be without flowers?"
Then I would reply, "For every day that we are together, .. blah .. blah blah"

The basic criteria - Is there an opportunity cost suffered by the provider of the product or service? If yes, I will compensate you. Do you agree?

Happy NIU Year, my dear friends.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

你想到好徹底﹐我寧願拿錢﹐也不要花﹗哈哈。。。