Thursday, February 07, 2008

Amazon to buy Audible.com

reflection of my life

When Amazon, the largest online bookstore, first announced its e-book reader Kinder, I said it would not be enough. Why would I buy a gadget for a few hundred dollars just to read from it? Can't I do it from my laptop?

Then Amazon added the volume button on its e-book reader. Amazon then went out and bought Audible.com, a major online distributor of audio books, for the contents to put into Kinder. The price paid is $300 millions. (peanuts by M&A standard in US)

What is my reaction to this new move?
It would not be enough again. Why would I buy a gadget for a few hundred dollars just to read and/or listen to a book from it? Can't I do it from my laptop or from my Nokia handphone?

If Amazon is going to do a-la-Sony ie. putting a security feature on the audio files, it better thinks twice.

Bottomline - Is Amazon scrapping at the bottom of its barrel for ideas?

No comments: