Saturday, February 17, 2007

Are you middle-aged?

P/s - This girl offered me a muay chi.


Dear friends,

I have 2 conversations which I want to share with you.

First Conversation
The first is a dialogue I heard over national radio where people were calling in to express their views on the budget.

Caller - "Hi, I am middle-aged and single. I notice that there is nothing much in the budget for people like."
DJ - "Well if you own a car, then you will get the 8% reduction in road tax."
Caller - "Well for the others, particular those with families, they get conservancy charges rebate, maid levy discount, ..."
DJ - "BTW, how old are you?"
Caller - "29"
DJ - "29?????? .... You are still very young. You should focus on raising a family of your own."

Second Conversation
I was talking to a man who has just sold his business for a pot of gold. He is lamenting that he still has to sustain his level of commitment to the business he sold while being paid a more than modest DAILY rate. He wishes for more time to smell the roses. "How old are you?," I asked. "58," he said.

My comment
Why does a person in his late twenties feel middle-age? Do many in their twenties feel the same? Have you guys done everything and know so much already to feel middle age? Has the pace of current lifestyle accelerate the depreciation of our youth?

On the other side of the coin, should a 58-year-old stop completely and smell the roses? Well Gorbachev was a "young" man in his fifties when he became President of USSR after being endorsed by a Politburo with people in their 60s and 70s.

Hmm... I am very confused.. Am I young, middle age or very old? More importantly, how do you feel about yourself?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yeah, me in my late 20s feel old too... so don't ask me for my age. haha...