Sunday, October 22, 2006

What my web-hosting company is telling me

Dear Friends,

I wish to share my experience on my renewal of domain name through a web hosting provider. The provider is appointed by SGNIC.

My intention was to renew for one year.

At about 10.30pm on May 31, 2006, I proceeded to renew my registration for one year for $44 online through the provider's website. As there was apparently no response nor acknowledgement, I proceeded to redo the submission about 2 hours later.

When I received my credit bill showing two charges of $44 each, I seek a refund for $44 on July 7, 2006. The basis for refund is for a service yet to be provided in 2007.

Here is their response on July 12, 2006, I quote,
"We regret to inform you that we are unable to refund the entire amount that you have requested as the renewal is done at the registrar database with SGNIC however we can help you to refund back $5 on your card which is the difference when you renew the domain name for 2 years once."

When the matter was brought to SGNIC's attention on July 21, 2006, I am given the impression that SGNIC's automated system of registrations and renewals of domain names is too rigid to facilitate amendment and adjustment. Has good sense been relegated behind computer systems?

I seek the relevant authorities to review the matters.

No comments: