Sunday, August 29, 2010

Teo Nie Ching

In today's ST, I read about this Malaysian non-Muslim MP who spoke in mosque with her head uncovered.

My gut feel is that it is a case of misunderstanding as something similar happened to me recently.

I was recently invited to a Sikh temple to attend to an assignment. My contact, a Sikh, was showing me and my colleague around the temple. When we were in the prayer hall, a few of devotees were pointing to their head. Sensing that we may have done something wrong or that we may not be allowed to be in there, we swiftly made our exit.

A few minutes later, the priest brought some headscarves for us. Apparently all ie. male and female, who enter a Sikh temple must cover their head. My contact missed that.

We apologised immediately of course. I learned something new that day. Moral of story - We really need to get to know other races.

No comments: